Merchant Gourmet have sent us a series of super tasty breakfasts to try out .... here's your first! For free!
This is the classic combination of pancakes, bacon and maple syrup, with a tasty twist provided by pancakes made with quinoa in place of flour. The quinoa gives the pancakes a nutty taste and an excitingly varied texture. I love these in combination with cream cheese or ricotta.
– Alex Mackay
To Serve ....
1. Warm the quinoa in your microwave. Get a medium sized bowl. Add the eggs, baking powder and cornflour. Whisk together until there are no lumps at all. Add the caster sugar, 50g melted butter, lime zest, vanilla extract and quinoa. Whisk together. Leave to sit for 1 hour.
2. Dip a piece of kitchen paper into melted butter then moisten the bottom of the pan. Get the pan hot over a medium heat.
3. Tip in a large serving spoonful of the mix to make pancakes of 8cm in diameter. In a 28cm pan I could comfortably do 4 pancakes at a time.
4. Cook the pancakes for 30-40 seconds each side until golden. Transfer them to a plate over a pot of simmering water if you want to keep them warm, or set them aside to reheat later. (A Microwave on low works well)
5. Fry the bacon until it is as cooked or crisp as you like it. Serve with the pancakes, maple syrup and cream cheese (if you fancy it)
Standby for more fantastic ideas from our friends at Merchant Gourmet soon ....