CUMIN-SPICED CARROT & LENTIL BURGERS WITH SPICY MAYONNAISE
FOR THE BURGERS
FOR THE SPICY MAYO
1. To make the cumin-spiced carrot & lentil burgers, mix the lentils, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli flakes and gram flour together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Coarsely grate the carrots and slice the spring onions.
3. Add the carrots and half the sliced onions to the lentil mixture. Using your hands (wear thin disposable gloves, if you prefer), work the ingredients together and then shape into patties to make 4 burgers or 8–10 sliders.
4. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and, when hot, fry the patties for 4–6 minutes on each side until evenly golden. They should be crisp on the outside but soft in the middle. Keep warm in a low oven while you layer up each burger.
5. To make the spicy mayonnaise, stir the sriracha sauce into the mayonnaise.
6. To serve, spread the cut sides of the buns with the spicy mayonnaise, add a layer of rocket followed by a burger, some avocado slices, the remaining spring onion slices, red onion slices and finish with another spoonful of mayonnaise.
7. Serve on their own or with sweet potato fries and more of the spicy mayonnaise.
To make this vegan: use vegan-friendly buns and mayonnaise.