"This joyously colourful combination is fresh, feisty and full of goodness. It's a brightly flavoured coleslaw without mayo, the quinoa provides protein and body to transform it from a side dish into a light lunch. You can vary the vegetables to taste or to season."
By Merchant Gourmet Cook, Alex Mackay
- SERVES 2
- 10 MINUTES
- 1 PAN
- Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Dried British Quinoa
- 1 small stripy beetroot, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 60g radishes
- 50g mangetout
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 unsprayed lemon and 2 -3 tbsp juice
- 4 tbsp sliced basil
- Salt, caster sugar and freshly ground black pepper (or sumac, if you have some)
- The salad can be prepared a couple of hours ahead, but as it sits, it becomes less crunchy.
- Simply rinse the dried quinoa in a sieve under cold water using the ratio of one cup of quinoa to one and a half cups of water. Bring to the boil before covering and leave to gently simmer until all the water has been absorbed (approx. 15 mins).
- Cut the beetroot in half, then slice finely as you can with a vegetable peeler or a mandolin. Slice the carrot into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Cut the mangetout into long thin sticks. Cut the radishes into thin circles. If you find it easier you can just grate everything, it is a little less crunchy but equally nice.
- Put all of the prepared vegetables into a large bowl. Mix in the quinoa, extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and basil. Season to taste, (use the sugar to balance the lemon) serve